Tuesday, September 30, 2008

When Quitting Feels So Good

So far, I have already worked for six companies and that equates to five resignation letters. Oh well, only four actually because with SMC, I didn’t resign, I early retired by choice. So you might ask, why quit a job? It is when it doesn’t fit with the needs anymore. It is when it is becoming boring and repetitive, it is when it is causing too much stress, it is when better opportunities are waiting outside. Sometimes it is when it is too much, the workload and the pressure and sometimes when it is too few, the benefits and chances for growth.

Resignation is one stage in our professional life that is a little sad to hear. In some ways, it is synonymous to giving up, bitter surrendering, parting ways, having enough and moving on. It marks an end to something yet a beginning of something else. While it is true there are things which are hard to let go, like the people that we have come to know and love and the daily routines that have come to define our day, quitting from a job should be taken as a positive undertaking where one wishes to find his true self, where one desires to find a comfortable niche and where one hopes to find the best paying job.

If you want to quit your job, managers would always ask you why are you resigning. If you are applying for a new job, prospective managers would likewise ask why have you resigned from your previous job. Sometimes I wonder why people make such a big deal with resigning when it is simply being honest to oneself and just doing the things one think is right. Quitting never happens for no reason, whatever it is, it deserves respect and understanding.

When I quit my job at SGV, I said I wanted to get employed by a private firm that would give a higher paying job. Then I retired from SMC because of the lump sum pay that I could receive. Then I went to Dubai and worked with JAM but I resigned as I has some difficulty dealing with other nationalities. Then I returned home, got employed by a call center company only to back out after a cold and unwelcoming day. After that I was hired my MWG for four months after which I decided to go back to Dubai. Here in my current job, something undesirable is brewing.

In all the instances that I quit my job, it was never because of some misunderstanding, disagreements or failure to live up to expectations. I have resigned on my initiatives and without any tarnished reputation. Truth is, all my previous employers had liked me and in as much as I would have wanted to say, I have to consider things from a different perspective. It is when they try to hold you back that tend to break the heart to pieces but leaving and knowing the people whom you left admired and loved you makes it a little more special and heartwarming.

0 comments: