Saturday, August 9, 2008

The 8th Wonder of the World

I have never been a fanatics of sport or the Olympics Games for that matter much less an enthusiast of anything that has to do with Chinese, Chinese people, Chinese food or Chinese culture. Call me racist but yes I am. But a yesterday, But yesterday, a milestones in sports history have had my hands down and the Chinese people has proven me wrong for the first time in a significantly jaw-dropping kind of way. I am talking about the opening ceremony of the 2008 Summer Olympic Games, officially known as the Games of the XXIX Olympiad in which China was unanimously voted by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to host.

Though I wasn't able to watch the opening ceremony of the 17-day quadrennial event as I have to go to work yesterday, news pages of striking and provocative images from the kick-off ceremonies have left me in awe and enough to convince me that it might really be the most spectacular Olympic ceremony the world has ever witnessed. Armed with enthusiasm and little passion for modernized arts, I checked the same event on
Youtube and after having watched the hour-long spectacle, I must say in all honesty that it was indeed splendid, spellbinding and won't easily be erased in recent sporting memory. Once again, proving China is more than just a chopstick nation but a force to reckon as far grand sporting event, creativity, talent and unity of people are concerned. Truly, the next Olympics host city, London has a lot of homework if it wants to surpass or at least match the scale and grandeur of Beijing’s.

I won’t further much on how fascinating it was, I know a million blogs and websites have already devoted a piece of their time featuring this event so just check out down below some of the best and extraordinary photos from the Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremonies, an event that was hailed by one writer as truly the modern 8th wonder of the world!







0 comments: