Thursday, July 17, 2008

Boremeter

What is inevitably the most boring thing to do in life? Well for me, it’s work, it’s my work. I don’t know how to explain it, but the moment I sit my ass on my table, I just wish that time could travel as fast as lightning so that I could go back home and do the things I love to do, like cooking, talking, watching television and blogging. I had never been this way before. In all of my previous jobs, I have always been so excited to come to the office and do my assigned responsibilities. It really didn’t matter if I was being paid less, the important thing was I enjoyed what I was doing and I felt productive.


Boredom, according to Wikianswers, is the state of mind where you cannot thik of what to do

In my new job, something is bringing the ennui down from my head to my eyelids. It’s not for doing something so boring, but for doing nothing at all. See I just turned a month old in my job and I am still getting acquainted with my tasks, so it’s all reading and learning stuff. I am a busy person, when I am not busy with work, at least I get myself busy with something or someone else.


When I was still with San Miguel (SMC)l, whenever boredom strikes me, building SMA or SMB, popularly known as SM Megamall Bldg A and B is just a stone throw away.

Presently, I don’t have anything to do in the office but I can’t show to them. So the pretention level is up to the highest level. That’s the horrifying ordeal that I need to go through every time I report to the office. I am being paid more actually compared to all my previous jobs but even the hefty pay could not impede my sight from closing its windows. Going to the comfort room more frequently than I should, black coffee and hot chocolate couldn’t do much good. I am freakingly bored and my work, or should I say no work – is freakingly boring and is putting me to a punishable hibernation.

I would rather be dumped with an enormous work load than to be paid for doing nothing. Call it nobility, but it is just the way I see things from a personal and professional viewpoint.


The Boremeter
Not another scientific measuring equipment, but how I call the degree of indulgence in my mold-producing and nap-inducing nature of work. Here’s my daily itinerary: I arrive in the office usually between 8 to 8:30. It will take me 5 minutes to start my desktop, 30 minutes to check on and reply to my mails, usually I create long morning emails to my friends in the Philippines. I get three 10 minutes bathroom break where I do everything I can to revive my sane self. I get usually 2 cups of hot choco. The rest, almost 3 hours pretending that I am busy, 2/3 of it I have to battle boredom and tediousness before I have my lunch break.


It is a painful task to pretend that you are busy with something
where in fact you are not. It’s guilt-ridden and crazy.


During the afternoon, I have to win over a more bloody confrontation with boredom and drabness. That’s 4 long hours of prolonged agony. Feels like I am being subjected to a survivor test. Thank God at least for this session, I am getting 3 ten minutes bathroom interruption, 2 cups of hot chocolate and minimum of 5 minutes of landline conversation. The rest is crucial, a death defying clash with the most tiresome activity of all – inactivity.

0 comments: