Saturday, March 15, 2008

Ordinary People

I always thought I am different and unique. Growing up alone made me realized that I am one, that I can never be with people and I can live without them. Through desperation, I have harnessed all the potential that I have been given. After several years, I have achieved some enviable feats, graduating at the top of my class, passing the board exam, getting hired by top corporations and being able to travel abroad. What more, my passion for the arts and writing has been widely appreciated and never fails to astonish people who don't believe that there's an artist behind this sinister looking.

Many times, I wondered if I could just stay like this forever, invincible and independent, if I can just carry on with my work and never care for anything else. Sometimes I imagine how would it feels like to lose my head and be with the crowd, how it is to step on the ground and talk casually with old friends and contemporaries. They could be missing a lot without me. I could be missing much more without them.

I have already reached for some of my dreams. I have picked a few stars and somehow I have taken myself up there to such a lonely place, so cold and so lonely. I used to consider myself different and unique. But when you are up there, all things are in harmony, the river meets the ocean, the mountains embrace the fields and the clouds hug the earth. From a distance, we are all the same, no big or small, no ugly or beautiful, no poor or rich, no dumb or wise, we are all fair in His eyes.

We are all born naked, we all breathe the same air, we all need food and shelter, we all go to sleep and wake up in the morning. We all commit mistakes, we all tell lies, and we are all sinners. We all feel pain and we all feel fear. We laugh, we cry. We all need love. We all wish from the same star. We all build dreams. We all pray to one God. We are all equal. We are all common. We are all ordinary people.

All that we have is nothing from up there, our education, our careers, our riches, our achievements. We are but a mole in a speck. We are tiny dots in a huge circle. Individually, we don't matter, but collectively we make something out of the ordinary.

0 comments: