Saturday, March 15, 2008

Letting Go of Sam

My name is SAM and here's how i got it. It was during my interview with San Miguel Corp. that my future boss asked me how i would i preferred to be called, it was then i coined the nick SAM, which actually stands for my initials. After that, everyone calls me by that name, except of course my family and college friends who stuill addresses by my first name.

At first, i was excited to be called SAM, for a change. Thought that with the change in name, i could also give myself a new image and a new identity. Hell, i was wrong, being me isnt like wearing a shirt that i can put out and replaced with anytime i want. Later on, i have gotten myself being called SAM, though every now and then i realize that it was actually very gender confusing. My cousin's daughter is named Samantha, her mother fondly calls her SAM for short. Oh my! Sometimes i wished i had never known.

Movie characters have not spare me either. When i am watching movie, inevitably sometimes, one character would be named SAM and i dont know which way to feel. It would be flattering if the person is playing the lead but what if that SAM is playing the villainest role? Isn't that embarrassing? There would even be times when SAM is a guy and sometimes a girl. In that case, i feel so completely played around.

But whats with the name anyway? Why do i make a big deal out of it? It's not even my real name, besides the fact that i dont own it. Maybe i just dont wanna be identified with somebody else using the same name, whether fictional of factual. Maybe i am just too terrified to be compared with them or maybe i am too concerned with how i have built my reputation of being SAm that i dont want to open up any avenue that would make people play around or mess up with my chosen dogtag.

So here comes and please welcome. Three months i have stopped using for a nick the name of a popular male celebrity. With the last company that i have worked with, i had been known as Sherwin - plain, simple and real.

0 comments: