Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Best Years of My Life

The best year of my life was neither when I was born nor when I took my first step. It wasn’t when I uttered my first word nor was it when I wrote my first essay. It wasn’t when I finished schooling nor was it when I landed my first job. The best year of my life wasn’t when I first plunged into a relationship or when I was able to build a decent house for my family. It wasn’t when I met neither you nor living each day knowing that I have you. The best years of my life are still at rainbows end, far beyond the visible horizon.

This is not to say that I am ungrateful for all the things that I have been blessed with so far. They are great actually but looking back and deeper, all that is mine are the things that I have never wanted or things that have resulted differently from what I have wanted. These are somebody else’s dream, or though mine, have been twisted, altered and nearly swept away.

The best years in life do not necessarily equate to the most satisfying or rewarding experiences, not always the happy and enjoyable ones. It could be the most frustrating and embarrassing, the most depressing and heart wrenching. Life is a journey, it’s not always what we get in the end that vindicates a meaningful existence, it’s the way we do it. It’s not whether we win or we lose, it’s not always the place or the prize.

The best experiences are gained from the hardest of fall. The most valuable lessons are learned when you find your life in its darkest hour. Be it in good times or bad, the best things are in the taking, the attitudes we have built and the characters that we have founded.

As for me, the best years of my life are yet to come. For the time being, I will just capitalize on what I have and treat each day an opportunity to better myself in all life’s aspect.

0 comments: