Saturday, June 28, 2008

Never be the Same



This is s story of a young man whose everything from character, outlook and relationships with people has changed when he fell in love with an equally young lady whose character speaks only of anonymity and demure. But this is not my story, I am writing this from a friend’s point of view. I believe that I have known this guy better that everyone else does so that if there’s any changes that he has made to himself, it is I who could tell if he’s really a changed man indeed. It would be too assuming on my part to say that I was little to be blamed for how he has become, in the first place, falling in love was never wrong. He might just be misunderstood.

I have met this guy in Dubai, we used to work for the same company and eventually we stayed in one house. His journey was never easy, based on what he has told me, it was a lot of hardships and struggles in the beginning. He was like a younger brother to me, a very ambitious and self made young man. Whenever he would told me about his life plans, I just couldn’t say stop it because they’re just too big and too early, I felt for him. I also do the same but I keep it to myself. He was simple and yet smart. He was always eager to learn new things, he’s longing for company and many times I ignored and left him alone. He was a nice guy though there were things that I didn’t like about him, he smokes and he’s a little lethargic though he tried hard to cook and clean up. Over-all, he was a good friend, thoughtful, generous and dependable.

When I resigned from work and decided to go back to the Philippines, he was left alone. Then he sponsored to get his sister to Dubai. Two other officemates joined them in the house. In the Philippines, I was back to my usual life and I have not heard much about them since then. Six months later, I decided to go back to Dubai because the resources at home wasn’t sufficient enough to meet all of my family’s ever growing needs. Going back in Dubai loomed a little difficult this time, so I have needed all the help I could get. I decided that I would stay in his house and another friend of mine sponsored my visa. When I arrived in Dubai, surprise was waiting for me.

The house and people in the house that I was expecting were no longer there. The most unexpected among all the changes, a young woman who was introduced to me as his girlfriend. First it was fine with me living with them but sooner I realized that it wasn’t just me who was feeling uncomfortable inside the house, the girl was, too. She is the reserved type. She hardly makes any attempt to communicate with us. When we tried, she would speak little. She’s timid and shy. She is still unemployed and inevitably we have to bear with each other plus another lady inside that small studio room. I felt the urgency to transfer out but I didn’t have the means yet. So I tried hard to be at ease and civil. Then I got a job, thought everything’s going to be settled and okayed. What we didn’t know, the worse is yet to come.

Dramatically, things gone out of hand for all of us living inside the house. Even before I came back, I was told that there has already been some mounting pressure between them. The girl didn’t know how to mingle and he was consenting, walls were built inside the small room. There were jealousy, issue of infidelity, annoying public display of affection, betrayal, distrust, financial matters, miscommunication and eventually we found ourselves not knowing where we were standing. Then we took sides and the games begun. Sadly, it led to a brutal confrontation and we all lost. It would not have gone that far if we had just sat down and talked about it.


I am not sure if it’s unfair to say that this has all happened because of her. But I can say that the young man I used to know has indeed changed. For one, he has found a high paying job and the simple and humble guy has become mighty and arrogant. The once friendly and sociable has become distant and obscure. He has become obsessed with her. He only spoke to her and his world revolved around her. He defended her
against all odds. He loved her so much that I have heard him saying once that he would kill for her. She too was totally in love I supposed, I heard her once saying she would die without him. Many of his old friends including me have found their fascination and love for each other too deep for their young age. But why do we care? We don’t feed them and they have never needed us. He has turned his back on us and focused all his attention to the one he loves. All the time they’re together, they’re so sweet and their sweetness somehow has become annoying and disgusting in our very eyes.

He has made a choice that nothing on earth can come between them. In few days I am transferring to a new place. The other housemates decided to stay in the set up that they have agreed upon after the juicy confrontation. New house rules were implemented and a request was made for a civil co-existence. As for me, now that I got a job and standing on my own, I wish them luck and I still treat them as friends though nothing will ever be the same again.


0 comments: